Can't get new LUN/Logical Drive visible from within SQL Server on cluster.
Scott Lord
2005-02-01 21:21:40 UTC
We have had a working SQL Server 2000 SP3 (default instance) on two node MS
Windows 2000 Advanced Server with MS Cluster servcie working for over a year
now.

The shared Q: and E: drives are actually two seperate LUNS from a SAN
connected via Host Bus Adapters..

Recently, needed another logical drive. Added another LUN from the SAN.
Configured it as basic disk, drive letter F: It show up in Disk Manager
exactly like the pre-existing E: drive in terms of attribute values.
It is a working a normal drive on the primary node.

Using the cluster administrator, it was added as a physical disk resource
and added to the iManage SQL Cluster Group, the same as the E: drive.
It shows up as online and owned by the primary node where the SQL Server is
active.

However, it does not show up with the Enterprise Manage for the SQL Server.
Only E: is showing. Have even rebooted the nodes for the cluster.
The logical drive F: is available for all other uses, but it cannot be seen
by the SQL Server.

Scott Lord
Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP
New York, New York
***@willkie.com
Tom Moreau
2005-02-02 00:33:46 UTC
Have you made it a dependency of the SQL Server group?
--
Tom

Thomas A. Moreau, BSc, PhD, MCSE, MCDBA
SQL Server MVP
Columnist, SQL Server Professional
Toronto, ON Canada
www.pinnaclepublishing.com
.

***@willkie.com
yvr4
2005-02-02 02:05:05 UTC
I for get tell one more step . you have to add resource in Cluster
administrator.

Regards
Ram
*you have to add new drive as a SQL Server Dependency in cluster
administrator. once you added into sqlserver dependency then
enterprise mangager see the drive.
Regards
Ram
Systems SQL DBA *
--
yvr4
yvr4

Scott Lord
2005-02-02 16:29:57 UTC
Thanks to Tom Moreau and yvr4 for their answers. I am pretty sure they both
identified the problem, I haven't been able to successfully test their
solution.

I had not added it as a dependency for the SQL Server. I only had it added
it to the SQL Cluster Group. I just tried adding it as a dependency to the
SQL Server.
FYI: The disk resource F: is online to the primary node and the SQL Server
is and online to the primary node.

In the cluster administrator, simply pulling up the properties to the SQL
Server and going to the Dependencies tab showed the F: drive on the left as
an available resource to be added as a dependency. I highlighted the F:
drive and tried to add it. I got a slightly ambiguous error message which I
will also type the text from the error message box.

-----
Message box title: Cluster Administrator
Yellow triangle with exclamation point icon.
An error occurred attempting to add 'Disk F:' as a dependency of 'SQL
Server':
The operation could not be completed because the cluster resource is online.

Error ID: 5019 (0000139b).
--------
This is a production environment: I am concerned about two things. Which
resource, the F: drive or the SQL Server is the error message meaning when
it say 'because the cluster resource is online' I know that I would like
for it to mean the disk drive, but I am modifying the SQL Server dependency
tree, so it is possible it means the SQL Server. I can't take that offline
except during a maintenance window. Also, if I simply take the disk drive
F: resource offline in the cluster administrator window in order to add it
to the SQL Server dependency tree, will it cause a fail-over of the SQL
Server since the newly defined dependency, F: disk drive resource, is not
online. That is what the dependency tree is for, isn't it.

I hope the answer is simply, take the disk drive F: resource offline in
cluster administrator, add it as a dependency to the SQL Server, and it will
either come online itself or I can manually bring it online, without the SQL
Server failing over.

Alternatively, I can accept needing to take the SQL Server offline in the
cluster administrator, having the disk drive F: resource online, adding it
as a dependency to the SQL Server and bringing the SQL Server online.

Sorry about these additional questions, but I thought the error message was
a little ambiguous, and I am concerned about adding an offline resource as a
dependency if it will cause a fail-over in our production environment. We
do not have a test cluster to try this on.

Scott Lord
Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP
New York, New York
Geoff N. Hiten
2005-02-02 16:47:48 UTC
That error message is correct. You must take the SQL Server resource
offline to change its dependencies.
--
Geoff N. Hiten
Microsoft SQL Server MVP

I support the Professional Association for SQL Server
www.sqlpass.org
Scott Lord
2005-02-02 17:01:59 UTC
Thank you Geoff.

I will schedule the change to the dependency tree for SQL Server to occur
during a maintenance window.

Scott
Post by Geoff N. Hiten
Post by Scott Lord
will also type the text from the error message box.
-----
Message box title: Cluster Administrator
Yellow triangle with exclamation point icon.
An error occurred attempting to add 'Disk F:' as a dependency of 'SQL
The operation could not be completed because the cluster resource is
online.
Post by Scott Lord
Error ID: 5019 (0000139b).
--------
mihir
2009-05-20 19:13:25 UTC
how about sql server 2008.
there is no resources in 2008 and i am facing same problem i can see 3 drives in fail over cluster managment but for backup and data it is giving me option for only one drive what to do to find 4rd driv

From http://www.developmentnow.com/g/99_2005_2_0_0_388228/Cant-get-new-LUNLogical-Drive-visible-from-within-SQL-Server-on-cluster-.ht

Posted via DevelopmentNow.com Group
http://www.developmentnow.com/g/
frankm
2009-05-20 19:33:12 UTC
Have you:
1) added that dirve / LUN to the SQL Server resource group.
then
2) Have you added the drive / LUN to the dependency on the SQL Server
resource itself.
Post by mihir
how about sql server 2008.
there is no resources in 2008 and i am facing same problem i can see 3
drives in fail over cluster managment but for backup and data it is giving
me option for only one drive what to do to find 4rd drive
From
http://www.developmentnow.com/g/99_2005_2_0_0_388228/Cant-get-new-LUNLogical-Drive-visible-from-within-SQL-Server-on-cluster-.htm
Posted via DevelopmentNow.com Groups
http://www.developmentnow.com/g/
raj
2009-07-22 19:04:21 UTC
How about Sql 2008. I am having the same issue with 2008 but there is no resource group in 08? Can someone please help

From http://www.developmentnow.com/g/99_2005_2_0_0_388228/Cant-get-new-LUNLogical-Drive-visible-from-within-SQL-Server-on-cluster-.ht

Geoff N. Hiten
2009-07-27 20:22:59 UTC
The "Application or Service" object is functionally equivalent to a resource
group.
--
Geoff N. Hiten
Principal SQL Infrastructure Consultant